The Lionel Messi promoted Tata Tiago launches on March 28th
The homegrown automaker, Tata Motors, debuts a new hatchback, the previously named, Tata Zica which underwent a name change and is presently known as the Tata Tiago. The name changeover was unforeseen. Due to the spread of the Zika virus and its naming being similar to the Tata Zica, the group decided it was in the best interests of the vehicle to go in for a name change before its official launch. The vehicle debuted in the Auto Expo 2016 and will be launched in India on March 28th 2016.
A coup of sorts that Tata achieved was to have roped in the famed footballer, Lionel Messi as the Global Brand Ambassador of Tata Motors. This would go a long way for the automaker, as it would increase the automaker’s global appeal and the Tiago will be known and recognized when it is exported to other countries eventually.
Warmly nicknamed, Fantastico, it definitely lives up to its naming and it is indeed a fantastic hatchback, one that is visually appealing, offers great performance, with good engine variant choices and is definitely a revolutionary vehicle in its segment.
What are the Specialty Features of the Tata Tiago?
- The Tiago has a very ‘next-gen design’ and sports a nimble and confident bearing. The vehicle makes an impact at first sight and it ensures that it is lasting.
- The well-engineered, all-aluminum, Revotron Petrol & Revotorq Diesel engines are equipped with multi drive modes and are very fuel efficient.
- The vehicle has an unbelievable twenty-two cubbyholes that further accentuates the comfort levels.
- The futuristic ConnectNext infotainment by Harman with eight speakers and an amazing Turn-by-Turn Navigation and Juke-car App, literally a first for the automaker, and also a first in the hatchback segment.
- For the 2 Revotron XZ, 1198 cc, manual, petrol engine, 21.2 kmpl the ex-showroom price is around 3.8 lakhs.
- For the 05 Revotorq XZ 1047 cc, manual, diesel, 25.8 kmpl, the ex-showroom price is around 5.5 lakhs.
- The materials and quality of equipment in the interiors need special mention.
- A unique feature, the SVC or Speed-dependent Volume Control is a part of the Tiago’s ConnectNext infotainment system. What this does is that it by design alters the music volume when the car’s speed varies.
What will work in the Tata Tiago’s favor?
- It’s unbeatable pricing. The vehicle is expected to be priced between INR 3.8 to 4.5 lakhs for the different variants.
- The vehicle is set to compete against other established hatchbacks in a much higher pricing segment, like the Ford Figo Aspire, the Maruti DZire, Honda Amaze, and the Hyundai Xcent and if performance-wise, the Tiago proves better, then it will definitely be a strong contender as it has many factors going for it.
- The ad campaign featuring the brand ambassador, the world famous footballer, Lionel Messi which will be a big draw. This would serve as good traction by itself.
- Another intuitive bookings campaign, the Tata Tiago has a contest running, wherein the winner gets to meet Lionel Messi in person, and this would be a dream come true for diehard fans.
- As a hatchback, it has exemplary packaging, good design sense and is equipped with good engines to ensure that it is a performer on roads.
The Tata Tiago is part of the automaker’s, "Made of Great" campaign. Its motto, "What drives us from within is what makes us great" says it all.
What this essentially translates to, is that innovation, novelty and a newer approach to appeal to a wider audience, especially, the youth can be a game changer. Therefore, with a revolutionary design, technology, and enviable drivability, the automaker plans to make inroads into this much-courted consumer segment. After initial trials and test runs, reviews have been promising and along with the Tata Motors aggressive campaign and the automaker going all out to set a new precedent in all aspects, which includes, branding, creating a better market presence and also roping in newer strategies to appeal to a wider target audience is definitely noticeable.
Let’s wait and see what the consumer response is to the Fantastico Tiago!